Wednesday, 20 November 2013

Vogue 8939 - Blue Zebra

Blue Zebra!


I totally love the style of this style of dress! And I love the blue zebra print on the fabric. However I wouldn't have looked twice at this pattern had it not been for the double page spread of it in the October issue of Sew Today magazine. I am certainly not a suit and trousers/skirt person as this pattern Vogue 8939 predominantly depicts. So much so, I hadn't even noticed the lovely dress on it.

Had I just seen this photo I would never have purchased the pattern. I mean, this is just NOT me at all...


The dress however, featured on the far left of the page is very me! This is what caught my eye... 


I can't believe that it's actually in the same pattern envelope! But there again, it is a Vogue Wardrobe Pattern and does seem to work well as a jumper with the other items, so why not extend it to make a dress pattern also? The pattern contains a Vest, Jacket, Top, Dress, Skirt and trousers, so an absolute bargain if you choose to make them all!

The dress is the type of pattern that I know I will use over and over again so I will certainly get my moneys worth making just that over and over again. It's great as a smart casual for every day wear on these colder winter days. I cant reiterate enough how comfortable and practical jersey knits are to wear. I just love them!

Sadly the fabric I used for this is a real cheap quality polyester jersey. My own fault entirely. It was the first (and only!) time I have purchased a fabric online without requesting a swatch first. Big mistake! It doesn't look too bad on the photos but it is not the best and I am sure it will not wear well. It was the print I was drawn to; this I love, it works so well with this dress and it hasn't turned out too bad over all. And one thing I will also say in its favour is that it's lovely and warm! Such a shame about this fabric quality because I absolutely love this dress! 




It might not be too obvious at first glance but I changed the collar on this dress from a roll neck to a turtle neck. Because the fabric is so thick, rolling it over (giving 4 layers!) would have been too bulky for me. The turtle neck only gave it a double thickness. I wanted the rouched effect for this dress. It actually looks quite high on these photos but having worn the dress all day it has now dropped and looks less high up.


The chunky chain necklace I purchased from New Look. I can't find it on their website in gold but they do have the same one in black HERE or a similar gold one HERE.

This pattern is easy peasy to make (just 4 pieces) it went together in a flash and not a lot of cutting out either. The latter being a bonus for me. As much as I love sewing, on a scale of 1-10 I would give cutting out a 1! But anyway, despite the fabric quality issue, I love this dress, I love the pattern even more and not only do I have another ready cut out (watch this space!), I am already looking at purchasing this Ribbed Jersey to make my next one after that!



To read My Sewing Pattern Review CLICK HERE

 Thanks for looking ~ Keep Smiling :)

The Winter~Queen





No comments:

Post a Comment