Sunday, 5 October 2014

Butterick 6837 ~ Pyjama JimJams!


Oh I'm so late posting these! They have been finished for over a week but what a busy social week we have had :) Our busy working summer is over and we have been enjoying life once again. The nights are now drawing in and the evenings are longer and cosy. So here I introduce my Pj's for these longer and cosy nights....

Despite loving these pyjamas, being pleased at how they turned out and how cosy and comfy they are to wear I can't deny that I didn't enjoy making these at all! And I have have no particular justifying reason for that statement either!

My current pyjamas were a mis-shaped, over worn and over washed disgrace. But pyjamas to me are more of a necessity that no-one ever sees so I guess this is why I never replaced them? But  a new house and a freshly decorated and newly carpeted bedroom just put them to even more to shame!
So it was time to treat myself to some new ones. I had never made pyjamas before and this was my opportunity.

All the sewing patterns for pyjamas seemed much of a muchness really. I am a member of Sew Direct which includes 40% off all Butterick, Vogue, McCalls and Kwik Sew patterns so naturally it had to be one of these. But I chose Butterick 6837 as it had a dressing gown pattern included in the envelope should I ever want to make one of these... which is likely. Ask me about dressing gowns and there's a completely different story!! I lurve dressing gowns. My dressing gown would be my one luxury item on a desert island. I wear mine every day, twice a day and it goes everywhere I go! Yes, even on holiday, much to the moans and groans of hubby as he watches me cramming it into the suitcase! I must have the most travelled dressing gown in the world lol.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. With the pattern sorted, next up, fabric. Once again inspiration came from September's MAGAM Challenge which was to make something for the changing seasons. So with Autumn/Winter on the way I decided to go for a lovely soft, warm flannel (HERE) from Minerva Crafts (again!) in Lemon.

I started with such enthusiasm and cut out and made up the pyjama bottoms first. I took my time, did nice french seams and I even made some piping to insert on the lower legs (omitted the fly as I didn't think it needed it for the women's). But the piping for some reason gave me a few issues; which were resolved, but once the trousers were complete I'd suddenly lost interest in the making .

So although it was all with good intention to pipe the collar, pocket, sleeves and centre front seam, due to the now lack of interest, they never happened! So I made the top as per the pattern (not even the french seams got a look in!) just to get it finished quicker. Perhaps getting new fabric in the post for the next project whilst the pyjamas were still in the making, may have had something to do with wanting to get them out of the way....? I wonder has this happened to anyone else, where you have lost interest half way through a project? Have to say, 'tis a first for me!



But, all that said and done, these were definitely worth it. I love these pyjamas! They are loose and baggy and feel great on. Space and comfort is everything for a pair of Jim Jams :)
And I feel so warm, snug and cosy wearing them. After all, Is there anything better than snuggling up in a cosy pair of pyjamas with a hot drink and a good book whilst Jack Frost works his magic outside?




To read My Sewing Pattern Review CLICK HERE

Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read
Happy Sewing!

Dawn :)x

6 comments:

  1. love them! that makes me want to make PJ's lol! the only thing that stops me are the buttonhoels, even though the machine does all the work they always stop me lol!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nanna. I got out of practise with buttonholes having a not sewing gap of about 15 years. My first ones after all that time were awful but they gradually got better and Im on it now!! :)x

      Delete
  2. Super Cute, lovely fresh colour- I've got some flora flannel that I'm planning on when is another Q!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our new bedroom is this colour.... you can't see me!! ;) x

      Delete
  3. They are cute -and you look lovely in them. I agree though, this sort of sewing does get put on the list of things that no one sees, so why make them. The thing is, we get to see ourselves, don't we, first thing in the morning - so I think it makes sense to look nice then too:). Next year I'll have to look at making some new nighties/P.J's too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree. It's just that as no one sees them, it never encourages me to replace shabby old ones (that's what I was meaning). I'd replace them sooner otherwise. I tempted fate making these; the weather has gone so cold since! So now I am very grateful that I muddled on and got them done :)x

      Delete