Sunday, 5 February 2017

V8939 ~ Old Faithful Strikes Again and Finds a Popular Friend ~ M6844


I am surprised I haven't worn this pattern out. Its my most go-to pattern. V8939, long since discontinued, makes for good staple comfy basics to my wardrobe.
This cotton jersey rib was gifted to me some time ago by my Mums friend having a clear out. Saw it on my shelf, washed it and decided to make the dress version of this pattern. But low and behold, on further inspection it was randomly dotted with tiny, tiny holes 😨. To avoid the holes, there was no way this would make anything other than a jumper so a jumper is was to be.

One thing I did notice this time was that it came up so much bigger in this fabric. Even the neckline is lower. I have made this pattern about 5 times before and never had this. Very first version HERE and my favourite (Christmas) version HERE. Just goes to show, unless you are making something in the exact same fabric, patterns just don't always come out the same.



I sometimes get a little despondent making essential basics, because that's what they are... Basic! But as we all need these in our wardrobes, to keep the motivation going, as soon as this was cut, I dug out this lovely Textured Lurex Wool and decided to make a matching cardigan straight afterwards to go with. It's February now, so if I didn't make this up soon, it was going to sit on the shelf for yet another year! And I need to be wearing this now


The photos cant actually pick out the glitter flecks in this, not even when we tried close up. But they are there!




A tad more visible on Lady Mai but not much! The fabric was purchased from Minerva Crafts over a year ago but it's sadly no longer available.



The pattern for this is the ever popular M6844. The world and his wife have made up this pattern, including myself, once before. (You can see that Here). Well twice if you count a different version I made for Mum! Again I made View C for me because I just love a peplum. I made two changes this time. Both were to the facing/collar. This time I didn't use interfacing and it sits much better without. And also, I attached the facing of the collar to the wrong side of the bodice (instead of right sides together). This was so it had a neater finish on the inside. I didn't like the visible overlocked seam on my previous version. The seam is now on the outside but is hidden by the rollover collar.


Photo of the inside
It was impossible to pattern match this fabric because it was just so random. So I just went with lining up the white stripes; the only stripes consistent!





This is such a great piece for layering, I don't know why I hadn't made another one sooner. Cardigans are another essential staple and this pattern is a great choice for dressing up a simple polo neck and a pair of Jeans




I am feeling on a roll with this pattern and can envisage another one coming on soon, ready for Spring 👍




Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read 😀

Happy Sewing All!
Dawn



14 comments:

  1. Thank you for reminding me I have that roll neck top pattern as yet still unmade! Yours looks lovely, love the little holes, they will show tantalising glimpses of the colour you wear underneath. And as for the McCalls cardigan - it's just divine. I can sense those sparkles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz. A polo neck will be perfect as you enter your cooler seasons soon.

      Delete
  2. Great pieces. Love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both pieces. The basic turtleneck goes perfectly with the cardigan. It looks so warm and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa. Both are lovely for our current very cold weather!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Jacket, Love the Colours. I think I have to buy the pattern after I've seen some very nice versions.
    lg Silvia Franziska

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes basics are boring, but buying the boring basics you need from the shops is often such a massive job, that making them, in the right colour, is so much easier! And if you hadn't made your boring basic, you wouldn't have remembered to make your lovely cardigan, which is great! I wish I had a waist - I would try this! Regards, Trish S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish you are so right. I hadn't thought of it like that! Thank you.

      Delete
  6. I love both, pretty top and cardigan. The cardigan fabric is really lovely. Thanks for the inspiration, now I remember that I have the turtleneck top on my list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana. Hope you get one for yourself made up soon! :)

      Delete